Sunday, January 17, 2010

ebenezer

"Here I raise my Ebenezer;
Hither by Thy help I’ve come;
And I hope, by Thy good pleasure,
Safely to arrive at home."

from the hymn "Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing"
by Robert Robinson and John Wyeth

(This has long been one of my favorite hymns.)

"Then Samuel took a stone and set it up between Mizpah and Shen. He named it Ebenezer, saying, "Thus far has the LORD helped us."

1 Samuel 7:12 (New International Version)


* the word "Ebenezer" means "stone of help"

photo taken by my husband

I have been spending some time reflecting on how the Lord has brought me to the place where I am today. He is so good to us. His blessings are new every morning. Sometimes His answers come quickly (I had a prayer answered in ten minutes this week that lifted a heavy burden.) sometimes His answers come after much, much perseverance in prayer. There are prayers that I have been praying for well over a year or in some cases for multiple years that I have not seen a clear answer to yet. "The Lord gives and the Lord takes away. Blessed be the name of the Lord."

Kelly

5 comments:

Ashley said...

great post! Have you heard the new version of that song...maybe by Chris Tomlin (?) I can hardly listen to it without crying...so touching!

Deborah said...

What a sweet reminder! Thank you for the encouragement today.

p.s. Based on these last few posts, I think Adrian could have a future in photography!

BR said...

sigh. love you, friend.
BR

Kori said...

When I hear "ebenezer" I always flash back to OT with Dr. Pryor!
Kori

Jessica H said...

I walked down the aisle to that song! I think of it often! That was my prayer as I walked down a flight to stairs to a waiting Michael - "come thou fount of every blessing". :)

Also, I haven't checked in on your blog in a while and you are just the cutest, happiest pregnant girl ever. Time is flying!