Monday, January 25, 2010

envisioning the nursery

When I started envisioning the nursery I had lots of thoughts swirling around in my mind. A little before Thanksgiving, I think, I settled on what I thought would be the color scheme but waited to see if it "stuck". It has and last night I created this inspiration board to have a visual for some of what is in my mind.

I want to use a lot of white to create a calming, peaceful, fresh, pure environment
but I also don't want it to look sterile or "untouchable".

I want to use just the briefest accents of bright colors to warm it up and make it happy and whimsical. I'm thinking apple green
sunshine yellow, orange, turquoise, a little bit of red and if it's a girl, a little hot pink and light pink.

Just right for a springtime arrival I think.

I'd love to know which picture is your favorite.



from top left:
orange striped crib sheet: giggle.com
sunshine yellow chest (I would love something like this for a changing table): Life Worth the Living
calm, happy, pretty nursery with a lovely yellow swivel rocker & the same white IKEA shelves I have (mine are 5x5): Me and Wee
globes (!) on top of a white armoire: Rachel Denbow via Ohdeedoh
happy citrusy tree!: via eating stars on flickr
happy, calm child's bedroom with lots of white, a red chair and a blue bench: Tracy Nors via Ohdeedoh
cool, old, wooden hangar holding print: Hijirik Studio on Etsy
white ruffle pillow: missmosh on Etsy
apple green cribs with white bedding: Little Apple Design via Project Nursery
pretty flowers in a sunny room: dollylovespink on flickr
again, lots of white but with some bright color accents: sierramills on flickr
white crib bedding with red embroidered elephants: haggyflickr on flickr

Kelly


21 comments:

Marla Robbins Finley said...

I like the colors in the green crib picture best. All are great.

Heather said...

I love the tree, but only if it's a girl. Too much pink for a boy!

(By the way, are y'all finding out if it's a boy or girl?)

Miss G said...

Heather - absolutely, if it's a boy I wouldn't do the tree. I'm not really planning to do any of these elements specifically down to the exact thing they have, it's just a mishmash of my inspiration.

Jenni said...

I love the swirly tree too!! So fun!!

Mindy S. said...

I love the combination of soft and bright colors. I love the nursery on the top with the turquoise walls. I love the quilt in the room with the red chair and I love the dining table on the bottom with the pink and red and orange--I love that they have bright reds and oranges mixed with a softer pink. Your nursery is going to be so cute! I can't wait to see if it ends up with pink or blue accents mixed with all of the other colors. :-)

Gina said...

I just love all the color! That yellow chest is adorable. For Jacob's room, we found a gorgeous chest at a yard sale and painted the drawers. It was cost efficient and turned out to be one of my favorite preperation memories for Bill and I. We spent each evening lovingly sanding, priming and painting. It's a project, but now everytime when I walk in his room and see that chest, I think of all the love that went in to it.

I can't wait to see what sweet baby looks like. I'm envisioning a little red haired angel :)

Sarah Kirksey said...

The one with the Ikea shelves for sure! Fresh, gender neutral, and eclectic. Furniture in any style would look great in that room! :)

Jacquie said...

Love, love, love the swirly tree!!!

Ruth Smith said...

I like the Me & Wee room! It looks so inviting! :) I'm sure that your nursery will be equally so, no matter what you choose!

Have fun planning!

Ruth Smith said...

I like the Me & Wee room! It looks so inviting! :) I'm sure that your nursery will be equally so, no matter what you choose!

Have fun planning!

Ashley said...

Loving the apple green cribs! Why would you need two cribs, though? :)

Deborah said...

I absolutely LOVE the Ikea shelves. I can only imagine what you will do with those once baby comes along. Although, we'll miss the 25 days of Christmas this year! I have a feeling, you'll have your hands a little more tied up than last year!

Hijiri said...

Hi Kelly!

thank you so much for including my poster -- I am so honored!

sunshine yellow chest is so lovely :)

Christian - Modobject@Home said...

Love, love, love it ALL! Very nice inspiration... not only for you but me too! You will not regret light and airy with punches of color -- that is our decorating philosophy for our entire house and it never grows old.

Hilary said...

I love it all..it's too hard too pick for me :)

Jamie said...

I love the swirly tree for a girl, too! I don't get to the cutesy pink stuff so maybe you will! :)

Anonymous said...

I LOVE the swirl tree...you could do it for a boy in greens and blues...very whimsical. I like the green crib and the yellow dresseer. I am sure it will all come together beautifully!
Julie P.

Tanya said...

You have the BEST taste Kelly!! I love all of the ideas.

EatingStars said...

Hi
I'm eatingstars from Flickr.

My newborn daughter also likes
that tree even though she's just 2 weeks baby ^^

Rachel said...

Such refreshing inspiration photos! I like the photo on the top, 3rd from the left the best...the storage options, the blue and the yellow chair. I'm sure whatever you come up with will be wonderful. I feel like our little boy isn't getting much in the way of decorating as he will need to be in our room for several months before moving him to share a small room with two brothers.

jennyc said...

My favorite is the room with the bookshelf like you already have - so fresh and fun! I love your color palette, too!