Saturday, January 2, 2010

progress is being made


Thank you, thank you, thank you for your comments and e-mails about this post.

Keep 'em coming. :)

You have really helped me today.

I have smiled as I've read each of your comments and e-mails.

Thank you for letting God use you today to encourage me.

Progress is being made.

The shelves above are going to be going into the nursery and my little blogging spot is going to be moving out.

The shelves are cleared except for all of those . . . uh, yeah, scrapbooks . . . um . . .

I have also been realizing that perfectionism/idealism is indeed creeping in even though I felt like I had already let it go by making compromises such as not buying a crib new, bringing a baby home to an apt. rather than a house, etc.

Well, don't worry folks, perfectionism and idealism are apparently alive and well. I not only seem to want a nursery that will "work" for the baby and for us but I want it to look just so mostly for me but also . . . uggg . . . this is hard to admit . . . I want it to look just so for you guys and for people who will see it in person and I think people expect a nursery to be something specific and just so for a baby and I find myself wanting to measure up to other peoples' expectations. uggg . . . I know I'm not the only one who ever feels this way but it's hard to realize and admit that you've fallen prey to pride.

Kelly


7 comments:

Ruth Smith said...

You'll be amazed at how much or how little you can use for a baby. Just remember that you don't have to do things (or acquire things) the way "most" people do. The baby won't know or care about anything but you and Daddy... So, just remember to fill the home with love and the other stuff, while nice, really doesn't matter!

Marla Robbins Finley said...

I have to agree with Ruth. And at the same time I totally know where you are coming from Kelly. Then, I've come to realize that it really doesn't matter what people think. All that matters is that your little one is loved and has the basics. If you spend too much time in those baby store, you'll start to falsely think that you and your baby NEED al that stuff. Much of it is marketing to that exact desire we have to be great parents. Just stomp on the lie from hell and know that you are already a fabulous mom. No "stuff" or lack thereof can change that.

Jenni said...

I'm proud of you for just coming out and saying what we all hide -- that we often do things for what other people will think, rather than because it is what we really need/want. I know that your sweet baby will be in the perfect room for him/her - regardless of if Mom's scrapbooks are on the shelf or crafting supplies fill the closet. Those are things that make you YOU as their momma. So, of course, you share their space right now.....and they in turn will take over all your space for the next umpteen years!!

Loved having you over tonight. I know this spring will slip away from us if we aren't careful, so can we plan a regular something til baby comes, ok? Love you!!

Karen said...

Sorry to be just checking in to your blogs today. What a blessing all your friends are. I just have to say AMEN to all their comments and that I have never seen a room that you didn't make beautiful with your magic. (Well maybe that dorm room at ACU that summer, but hey, that doesn't count.)

jennyc said...

I hear you, Kelly! Just today I attacked the playroom with my new labelmaker in attempt to organize all the toys in the house to "my ideal"...I did feel good when it was done, but the best moment came later at the park when I was sliding down the slides with Colton and I thought to myself, "This is the mom I want to be..." I guess (I know) there will be decisions like this daily when things don't look/go exactly like you dream or imagine - but will lead to those moments that feel exactly right because you are being in the moment. All that to say, his/her room will be just right for him/her because of all the love that lives in your home (not to mention you do have quite a gift for making simple/vintage things beautiful and glorifying to God). Will be praying for you!

Anonymous said...

From getting to know you better through your blog posts, I would venture to say that your nursery will be very unconventional (in a very good way); but I know it will be perfect and beautiful in every way. Have I missed the post to know if it is a boy or a girl?~donna

Gina said...

Oh bless! Kelly, I know just what you mean about wanting to have the baby’s room "just so". I was a mad woman trying to rush and get Jacob's room organized and decorated just as I had imagined it in my head. And sadly, for the first 2 months we hardly ever set foot in that room. And now, he's 3 and a half months old, the room is beautiful, and we're picking up and moving to Searcy. So that lovely room that I agonized over, it will be just a memory.

So please don't stress yourself out. The decorating of the baby’s room should be joy, not a chore. And remember, that sweet baby will never know the difference. And your friends love you and will love whatever innovative decor you come up with! ... And if I know you, it will be precious :)