Monday, July 18, 2011

Colorado Springs Streets - A-Z {Academy} part two

It has been quite a while since I did my first post of Colorado Springs Streets A-Z starting with Academy part one.

I am finally following up with part two of one of the major thoroughfares in Colorado Springs, Academy Blvd.

My sister-in-law and I went on a jaunt one day piling all three boys in her mom's van and drove the section of Academy from Briargate Blvd. to Dublin.

Don't these boys all look happy to be together? You may notice the long sleeves they are sporting. These photos were taken on May 2nd and you may notice snow in some of the photos as well!







First up on this part of the tour, The Egg and I.

It looks like it could be a fun place to go for breakfast. We have not yet tried it out yet making the Donut Mill in Woodland Park a priority over it so far.

Have you been there? Is it good? Is it a chain? I had never heard of it before but it looks like it could be a chain.

Any other good breakfast places you would recommend around town?




Next, Old Navy and Carters. I have been to another Old Navy in town but not this one yet. I heard somewhere that this one might have more selection. Do you think so?

I like Carter's for clothes, especially pjs but only if there's a major sale. Still it's really nice to have a freestanding one in town since you don't always want to have to go into the mall.




Even though I don't at all consider myself a coffee addict, it's always good to know where the Starbucks are.

Speaking of Starbucks, what's your drink of choice? I've discovered I prefer iced coffees to frappucinos during the warmer months (less expensive, less calories and more refreshing) and I am on a cinnamon dulce latte kick in the cold months and boy was I glad when I could get it with whipped cream again after being off dairy for a while! Soy milk in the latte is good but no such thing as soy whip at Starbucks.

I really miss the Salted Caramel Hot Chocolate they had a few winters ago. I know some of them still have it but it is not the same without the topping.






Penzey's Spices was something that I thought was unique to Dallas/Fort worth for some reason so I was happy to see them here. They have great spices, spice blends and they seem to be a really neat company. We've also enjoyed some GREAT recipes from their catalog including rhubbarb cobbler and strawberry shortcake. YUM!


There are not many brick and mortar scrapbooking stores left and I love that Archivers is still around. I have really enjoyed the times I've been to their store. Back in '06 I went to a crop night at their Denver store with my friend Emily and some of her friends. We had such a great time. If anyone is up for doing a crop night there here in the Springs, let me know.

sidenote: There is also a great scrapbook blowout store by the Arc Thrift Store (but that is not on Academy so not officially part of this tour). :)


Lillian's is only open one weekend a month. Don't ask me how they manage to pay rent on that but apparently it works for them. I was able to go for the first time during our family reunion with my mom, aunts and cousins. It is a cute store - clothes, purses, jewelry, accessories - a little Sam Moon-esque for those of you from Dallas/Houston but not as cheap and on a much smaller scale. The owner said that a lot of people tell her it reminds them of a store in Texas or the South.


I had been to Wahoo's Fish Taco once before on that same '06 trip to visit my friend Emily. They're pretty good for someone who doesn't like fish. :)

Actually they of course have other things as well. We actually ended our outing by having lunch with the boys here.



This was my yummy plate and David greatly enjoyed the big bowl of black beans in the background.


I have not yet been to Gatherings although I hear it is a neat little shop. My mom got one of my stocking stuffers there last year. I am hoping it is a little bit like Samplehouse (for you DFW folks). We'll see. Anyone want to go?


We used to have Noodles and Co. in Dallas and I really do like them. One of my splurges when I was single and didn't feel like cooking was to go and get their mac and cheese with chicken and broccoli added (you know, for a health touch).


What do you know about Broadway Deli?

I haven't yet been.

Fun sign.



I don't shop at Family Christian Stores super often but it is nice to know where a Christian bookstore. I must admit that the times I've briefly walked through the bookstore at Focus on the Family on my way to the Whit's End play area, I have been drooling. I'll have to make a little visit sans baby sometime as I don't think browsing book aisles slowly is particularly his cup of tea right now. Better yet maybe I'll have to see if any of the rest of my family want to go and we can take turns watching the kids and browsing the bookstore.


Qdoba might be my second favorite big burrito place after Freebirds.






Pei Wei, one of my favorites for a long time. I have to say that my appreciation of them has grown quite a bit stronger since having a little one. They are AWESOME at having kids in their restaurant. They bring the high chair to you and I've had them go out of their way to bring a cup for David when I forgot his, tell me not to worry about it when I've been down on my hands and knees trying to pick up rice off the floor, etc. Plus, with dairy free eating for David, they are one of the easiest places for me to order for my little guy. Yea Pei Wei!!


This is not the very best photo but may I remind you that it was snowing off and on and we were in the car with three kiddos?

I don't know that I will ever venture into the Bead Gallery but if my Aunt Carol or cousin Becca want to come and visit (hint hint) I would be happy to take them there as they are both makers of exquisite jewelry that I get compliments on whenever I wear it.

I would be interested to know if Black Jack Pizza is any good. Anyone know?

The main thing I was looking forward to trying out in this photo is La Tartine French Bistro Cafe. I had actually gotten a photo of it last time too. (I guess I was backtracking some, oops.)

My mom and I actually got to check it out last month. Thank you for all of you who have been praying for her. She is undergoing chemo right now and that has it's ups and downs but it is sooo wonderful to be able to go to lunch with my mom and for her to feel like it more days than not!


She and I ended up ordering the same thing! It was good!




Here is David enjoying his fruit plate and nummy dairy free bread (they were great about checking for us).



I give them a thumbs up and would definitely go there again. I would like to try breakfast there sometime as the omelette menu looked yummy and I would definitely like to try the creme brulee!


I haven't been to Natural Grocers yet. Anyone have an opinion?


I want to like Steinmart more than I do. Now and then I've gotten something really cute there but usually I don't find anything. I discovered this past time that aside from a very few layette type things there were no boy clothes only girls! Come on, Steinmart, where's the boy love?



In Texas I tended to prefer Marshall's over Ross. Here though, Ross is winning me over.

First there is the super nice older man who stands at the door and always talks to David and even welcomed me to Colorado Springs when I first went and mentioned in conversation that we'd just moved here.
Then they have those giant poles that stick up from their baskets to keep you from taking them out of the store. Well, that basket addition can occupy David for quite a while, shaking it, looking way up at it, etc. and that buys Mama some time to shop.

Plus, I got a super cute outfit for him for $3.50. Here he is wearing it with his Uncle Edmund and the "Super David" cape that his Sweetie made him.



It is probably good for my wallet that I no longer live 5 minutes from Michael's like I did in Texas. The $1 ribbon bin is awfully tempting to me.




I would really like to try out the Lemongrass Vietnamese Bistro. Does anyone know if it's good?


I ran into Chef Sugar's this day while Mandy generously stayed in the car with the boys. We hadn't eaten lunch yet and weren't prepared to feed everyone sugar instead. It smelled HEAVENLY.

Adrian and I went back on my birthday to get some birthday cupcakes and I have to say that they didn't really live up to my expectations.

Has anyone else been? Have you had a good experience? Should I give them another try? Maybe try something else?






This Starbucks is a little further down the street and as far as we can tell, except for possibly some places downtown, this seems to be the coffee shop that stays open the latest around town.
There are a lot of very early closing and weird hours coffee shops around here.


South Jersey Subs could be good. Anyone know? I haven't checked it out yet.





And finally, for Academy part two (told you this was a REALLY long street) the Sunflower Market and Willowstone Antique Marketplace.

The Sunflower Market kind of reminds me of Sprouts and they seem to have great produce and they for sure have yummy salt water taffy in a zillion flavors.

Willowstone Antique Marketplace is new in town and the first time I went there, with my mom, I found a set of four great dining room chairs for $50! Then, we were given a dining room table and 6 chairs for free (!) from the youth minister and his wife at my parents' church and they are very, very close in style! My plan is to paint them all white and recover the seats (any advice would be appreciated) and we'll have a very "us" table and chairs!

God provides.

So there you have my second installment of Colorado Springs Streets A-Z. I hope you're enjoying getting to know my city along with me.

Kelly


9 comments:

Kori said...

Um, I'm thinking that's a long street! Guess I've lived in small towns a while...
So I am requesting a picture of Uncle Edmond next to A. Because if you hadn't said it was an uncle I would have guessed it was A? And recently there was a picture and I thought it was A but he looked slightly different, wondering now if it was Uncle!?:-) So curious now.

Karen said...

Loved the tour. I just have to disagree about Stein Mart. That is my store. You can have Michaels. :)

Jenni said...

I've not been to Natural Grocers, but Heather is enjoying finding things there that help with the dairy free diet for Anna. Perhaps it will provide some splurges for D as well.

As for chair recovering, it is usually very easy. Most chairs just screw into the base, so it is just a matter of unscrewing, replacing/adding more padding and wrapping new fabric around the seat and stapling it into place. I have done my dining chairs twice. Only thing I would really say is to get upholstery fabric for the seats - it is more durable than just regular cotton fabric. Won't stretch and will last much longer.

Amanda said...

Great post idea! We honeymooned in Colorado Springs and were ready to move there! We didn't see quite this much of the town though...

I'm a cinnamon dolce latte girl myself.

Kelli said...

Hey girl! What a fun area! It seems like y'all have a ton of stuff to do, really close by. That is always nice!

I am actually commenting about The Egg and I. There are a couple of them around town here, and Joe Dan and I really love it. I always get the Parisian Eggs Benedict with ranch potatoes. It is rich, and delicious, and fabulous! I do NOT recommend their cold coffee drinks - awful. But everything else we have had is exceptionally good.

Also, I agree with you about Steinmart. I have one friend who gets all her clothes there, but no one else can ever find anything, including me! :) And I find them to be pretty expensive in general, compared to other places. But that's just me - I'm a Targetaholic!

A Tale of Two Cities said...

When I come to see you, I want to eat at Qdoba--a fajita queso burrito please, and do they still have the Winchill's donut shops they use to have the last time I was there?

Janae said...

We LOVE Natural Grocers. All produce they sell is organic. And their products are all natural and health-conscious. They have good sales, and at our store, the over-ripe produce is stuck in bags for $1. (The other day, I got a dozen apricots for $1, and a bag of 2 bell peppers with 6 large jalapenos for $1.) And it is all organic. I highly recommend shopping there!

Ashley said...

Egg and I!! YAY!:) I had my first "multi-grain" pancake there...it was heavenly...(bananas and nuts)
Kelly and I met for a prayer group there some early mornings. Definitely a neat place to dine! so many of the places you documented are new since we moved away in 06.
Crazy how things change so quickly! Much of my and Kelly's teaching wardrobe came from Ross!:) LOVE it!

emily said...

Hey, you should go to The Egg & I-- they have a Wisconsin scramble that is to DIE for!!! It is a chain, but I think just a CO one, so it is forgivable ;) ALSO, I HATE Natural Grocers-- watch for their local commercials on TV & be ready to be amazed at what some people think the tune to "Green Acres" is. It is unreal terrible. How COULD YOU bring up Sample House & Sam Moon?!?!?! What torture to remember shops you can no longer frequent... one of my ICU nurses was from Dallas & we had a good cry over Sam Moon :) Hey, speaking of, she told me there is an amazing (& this is from a Texan) Mexican food place off of 25 between the outlets & Sky Ridge-- maybe we can meet there one day? Hope you are well-- tell your mama hello for me!!