Wednesday, January 11, 2012

what can we do?

Today's blogpost is not light and fluffy.

It's hard.

Really hard stuff but I pray that you will read anyway.

Today is National Human Trafficking Awareness Day.

A year and a day ago I had no idea what human trafficking was.

I was reading blogs just enjoying some computer time.

I read Emily's post.

Now I am no longer ignorant.

And I am glad.

Sometimes I'll admit, I wish I didn't know. I wish I lived in a happy little bubble of pretty things and cheerful feelings but that is not reality, not sustainable and not what God has for me.

He has bigger responsibilities and bigger blessings.

This year I read this article by Tally Flint.

I encourage you to take a few minutes to read it. It is very well written and sheds a lot of light on this problem.

One of the things that struck me was the simplicity of helping with this problem.

If you are like me so many issues and problems that I learn about in the world seem insurmountable. I don't know what to do or where to start of if I will make a difference.

There is a quote in the article that I think is very important and empowering.

" . . . talk about it [human trafficking]. We were not put on earth to think comfortably or ignorantly. It’s going to be hard, but it’s worth fighting for, and the more knowledge you have about something, the more power you feel you have to work with.” Kristen Muche

If you do nothing else after reading this post please just acknowledge in your own mind that this is something real and something horrible. Take a moment out of your day to feel for someone else - someone who does not have the advantages, the comforts and the security you have.

If you're willing to do more, please take a look at the article and especially read the last several paragraphs about how we can help. It probably won't be as hard as you think!

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this and I would love to hear your comments and thoughts.

Kelly

1 comment:

Karen said...

Thanks for sharing this. KSBJ devoted the day yesterday to this terrible issue.